Thursday, July 29, 2010

Good Luck, and see you in the yesterday

One thing I've noticed during my brief moments of insincere study has shown me, is that no matter what rules have been established for writing, great writers do what they must to produce a desired result.

I tend to do whatever I want; I spread semicolons around like fertilizer, because a million commas, though they are useful, just bother me, like a handful of ants crawling around the text, I prefer to eradicate them via parentheses, and semicolons.

Thus, I've found this article interesting (thanks knicely). Not that I've ever read that thing. Oh, no, I can't remember a word of it. I'm sure I've got it around, and had been told to read it, but I've been to busy reading Great Works of Literary Genius, like King Solomon's Mines, The Plant that Ate Dirty Socks, Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and Cat in the Hat.

And now (as previously mentioned) I've made a pretense of studying, as superficially as possible, the great ancients, and generally, when a rule is explained, a subsequent note is added to point out that poets did whatever they wanted, and the rules aren't reliable guideposts in their world. They typically made their own.

Now I'm not saying we should launch ourselves into anarchy (though that would be incredible), all I'm saying that is that that Grammar Nazis Must Die, and If I feel the need, I will tip it generously.

No comments: