Thursday, September 02, 2010

Forgot this title thing

While I patiently wait for the imaginary readers or possibly future archaeologists who might stumble across this blog, buried in burnt-out hard drive platters scattered across the post-apocalyptic desert after the great internet flame wars end in a planet scouring explosion of bile and nuclear fission, I thought I'd share the following.

I was recently listening to a little historic background on Vergil's "Aeneid", and a couple of Mark Anthony and Cleopatra's kids were mentioned, Alexander Helios, and Cleopatra Selene. Helios and Selene translate to 'Sun' and 'Moon' respectively. Perhaps slightly hippie sounding at first, I immediately recalled a story by George MacDonald. You can read it here.

George MacDonald plays a few word games of his own in the story: Photogen, Nycteris, Aurora, and Vesper, for instance, have meanings of their own which add color and depth to the story.

No comments: